The East Lake Foundation provides the tools for families of The Villages of East Lake and students of Drew Charter School to build a better life for themselves and future generations through education, mixed-income housing, and community wellness.
About the East Lake Foundation
The East Lake Foundation was formed to revitalize a suffering inner city neighborhood and turn it into a vibrant community where all residents can thrive. Over the last two decades, the Foundation has proven that working with residents and public and private partners, while providing the right combination of comprehensive programs and services, is transformative for the community.
The East Lake Foundation works with many partners to deliver and support a wide range of programs, including early childhood education; supplemental enrichment at Drew Charter School; college and career readiness and scholarships; entrepreneurship, work readiness and financial literacy training for adults; golf and life skills instruction; and healthcare access and education.
The East Lake Foundation provides families of The Villages of East Lake and students in the Charles R. Drew Charter School education pipeline the opportunity to build better lives and reach their highest potential. This is achieved through a holistic approach to community revitalization that incorporates high-quality mixed-income housing, cradle-to-college education, and community wellness.
5-Year Strategic Plan
In 2016, the East Lake Foundation’s Board of Directors approved a five-year strategic plan for the organization to broaden and deepen our work in the East Lake community.
The Board has agreed to four strategic priorities that will guide the Foundation’s work over the next five years:
- Broaden our work with children by attracting more economically-disadvantaged families with children to The Villages of East Lake
- Deepen our work with children from economically-disadvantaged families by expanding our education pipeline to be cradle-through-college
- Deepen our efforts in “breaking the cycle of poverty” by moving economically-disadvantaged families “in-up-and out” of The Villages of East Lake.
- Ensure the foundation’s long-term sustainability by strengthening its Board, fundraising and communications.
East Lake Today
- The Villages of East Lake, a mixed-income apartment community with 542 townhouses, duplexes and garden apartments
- Charles R. Drew Charter School, Atlanta Public Schools’ first charter school, serving more than 1,800 students in grades pre-K -12.
- The nine hole, mid-length, public Charlie Yates Golf Course, home to The First Tee® of Metro Atlanta
- The East Lake Family YMCA
- The East Lake Early Learning Academy, the Sheltering Arms East Lake and Cox Pre-K program serving more than 300 students from six-weeks old to kindergarten.
- East Lake Golf Club